Top 15 Grammar Checking Tools (Free & Paid) 2021 – Online grammar and punctuation checkers are useful tools to help you understand your writing more professionally. Whether you’re starting a blog, writing a professional email, blog post, long-form article, or e-book, it’s important to avoid silly, grammar, and spelling mistakes. Now there are quite a few resources that can help you in this area.
Top 15 Grammar Checking Tools (Free & Paid) 2021
In this guide, we’ll take a closer look at some of the main grammar checker tools, pointing out their pros and cons.
- Find Out What Err Too Many Redirects is And How to Fix it
- 5 Event Planner Marketing Strategies Used by Top Professionals
- How to download free photos from Shutterstock without watermark | Update
- When using any of these tools, keep in mind that none of them are perfect. They can’t write for you either. It is up to you to create engaging content for your audience. However, they can help you deliver error-free work that helps establish your credentials as a true professional.
What to look for when choosing a grammar checking tool
- Carefully consider your needs and make sure you find a tool that has the features you need. Some tools, for example, only address spelling errors and do not correct grammar.
2. Consider the price, but also keep in mind that an effective grammar checker can increase your income in the long run by helping you create superior content.
3. You may want to freeform without the grammar checker for your first draft. Many tools have distracting effects, such as red lines that can interfere with your concentration. You can make the correction later. Now let’s go to the reviews of some of the best grammar checkers currently available.
Here’s my list of the best grammar checking tools on the web
Grammarly is probably the best-known English grammar checker of all, as the company advertises itself quite aggressively. There is a free and paid version. You can download the free Chrome extension to get an idea of how it works. The paid version is quite expensive, over $ 130 per year. However, they do make frequent sales and you may be able to find promo codes to lower the cost.
Grammar.ly is free to use but to unlock all the great features it has to offer, you’ll need to pay. There are three plans. If you want to go premium, I suggest you pay in advance throughout the year. This will save you a massive $ 220.
- Check for spelling and grammar errors fairly thoroughly. Even the free version fixes all the “critical” problems, while the paid version also suggests ways to improve the style.
- Easy to use. Errors, misspellings, or potential problems are highlighted and you can choose to modify, ignore, or “add to the dictionary.”
- Lots of useful features like a Chrome extension, an MS Office plugin, and mobile access.
- The Premium and Business versions include a plagiarism checker which is very useful for anyone posting content online. Using plagiarized content, even accidentally, can hurt your SEO and can even lead to legal problems.
- Helps improve your writing skills and sentence structure.
- Is not perfect. This is true of any tool, of course. Grammarly will sometimes make incorrect suggestions, such as asking you to insert an article where it is not necessary.
- The paid version is a bit expensive. Worth it? The jury is still out on that verdict.
WhiteSmoke makes the bold claim that it is the “best English writing tool on the market.” The fact that it calls itself a writing tool and not just an English grammar checker gives you a clue as to its purpose and characteristics. WhiteSmoke fixes the bugs, but goes further and examines your style as well. It even has a translator that works for 55 languages. There are some versions of WhiteSmoke to suit the needs of different users. All versions include the mobile application.
- WhiteSmoke Essential. $ 4.16 / month billed annually. Includes grammar checker, plagiarism detector, and translator.
- Cousin. $ 6.67 / month billed annually. Compatible with Windows or Mac. It has all the Essential features plus one-click correction and integration with all major writing platforms.
- Deal. $ 11.50 / month billed annually. Includes all the features of the Premium license plus 3 computers, telephone customer support, and extended warranty.
The above plans are available in a desktop or web version, depending on whether you prefer to download software or access the service online.
- WhiteSmoke uses advanced natural language processing technology to find errors that other tools often miss, such as changes over time, continuous sentences, and snippets.
- WhiteSmoke has a translator with all versions. It also has a plagiarism checker.
- There is no free version.
WhiteSmoke is a powerful and affordable grammar checker used by many businesses and academic institutions. It offers reliable and comprehensive writing tools that are especially useful for academic writing and translation.
Ginger offers a free online grammar checker that works with Chrome and Safari. This is another convenient tool if you want to check spelling, punctuation, and grammar without signing up for a paid plan. One of Ginger’s specialties is its state-of-the-art score checker, which allows you to correct mistakes with just one click. It will detect everything from extra spaces to incorrect use of commas, colons, and semicolons.
In addition to grammar checking capabilities, Ginger makes it easy to insert emojis into your writing. Pictures are usually more expressive than words. In the age of social media and texting, emojis are increasingly used to express emotions. Another benefit of Ginger is that you can choose from a wide selection of themes to suit different types of writing. If you want to improve your writing, you can take advantage of Ginger’s personalized practice sessions.
Ginger’s premium plans add features like sentence reformulation, allowing you to reconstruct sentences for clarity. You also get a translator that works with 60 languages. The Premium plan is currently $ 20.97 / month paid monthly, $ 13.99 / month paid quarterly, and $ 7.49 paid annually.
- Ginger’s online version makes it easy to check grammar and punctuation from any device.
- It’s free.
- It integrates with Facebook, Gmail, and Twitter to improve your writing on popular public sites.
- If you trust the browser extension, you can only use it when you are connected to the Internet.
Ernest Hemingway was famous for his straightforward and sober prose. Hemingway’s editor is dedicated to helping everyone write more clearly. This tool targets long, awkward, and unnecessarily complex sentences. Long and complex sentences are highlighted. The application identifies the passive voice. There are legitimate reasons to use the passive voice, but using it too often makes your writing weak and indirect. When using long words, the app will suggest shorter words for clarity. It also highlights the adverbs that weaken your writing.
Another useful feature is the readability score. You can instantly find out the grade level of your writing. The online version of the Hemingway editor is free. The desktop version is sold for a one-time fee of $ 19.99. The main advantages of the desktop version are the ability to save and export files and direct publishing to Medium and WordPress.
- Help make your writing clearer and more legible.
- Very accessible. Even the paid version is a one-time fee with no recurring billing.
- It is not designed to correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. For this reason, it does not really replace other tools.
While Hemingway’s editor cannot replace grammar checkers, it does perform an important function and is a valuable addition to your set of writing tools.
Write the U.S
Scribes is an online grammar checker that is simple and free. It claims to fix more than 10 times more errors than Microsoft Word. The interface is quite easy to use. Just enter text into the grammar checker and you will see a list of suggested corrections.
- Free app. Unlimited usage.
- Compatible with many browsers and operating systems, including extensions for Chrome, Safari, and Firefox. It also integrates with Excel for Windows and Mac. Addresses stylistic issues like continuous sentences and redundancy.
- It does not have the range of functions that some tools offer. There is no plagiarism checker or translation functions, for example.
- It is not always accurate. Users report some bugs. However, this can be true of any grammar checker.
If you are looking for a simple and free grammar checker, you have nothing to lose by trying Scribes.
LanguageTool is a grammar proofing and proofreading tool that offers both free and paid options. In addition to the English language, it also offers corrections in several other languages.
The free version of LanguageTool gives you up to 20,000 characters per check and 1700 patterns to find errors in English.
The Premium version, which costs £ 4.92 / month or around $ 6.50, £ 59.00 / year or around $ 78, provides 40,000 characters per check and 2400 patterns for finding errors. The Enterprise version adds access to APIs and custom plans.
- Corrects grammar and usage in multiple languages. You can also configure it for different versions of the English language, such as American, British, Australian, South African, and Canadian English, etc.
- Allows you to create a personal dictionary for proper names and other words that are not included in public dictionaries.
- It offers browser extensions for Firefox and Chrome, as well as integration with Microsoft Word, Google Docs, and LibreOffice.
- No plagiarism checker.
- He does not always point to stylistic suggestions such as the passive voice.
After the deadline
After the Deadline provides spelling and grammar checking using open source technology. It can be used as a WordPress plugin, a browser extension for Chrome or Safari, or an Open Office extension.
- Free for personal use.
- Contextual spell checkers. Many spell checkers do not detect contextual errors such as “your” versus “there.”
- Excellent for bloggers, as it is one of the few grammar checkers made especially for WordPress. Install the plugin and it automatically fixes your blog posts.
- You need internet access to use it. This is convenient if you are online, but some people like to edit offline as well.
GrammarCheck is a free online grammar checker that points out spelling and grammar errors and makes suggestions for style improvement. GrammarCheck also has a Deep Check button that sends you to Grammarly. You can get a coupon code for the Grammarly-paid version of GrammarCheck.
- It is a free and easy-to-use grammar checking tool.
- The tool is limited in scope and is largely a hook to entice you to sign up for Grammarly. Of course, you can use the free version of Grammarly just as easily.
Dupli Checker is a free online plagiarism checker that also has other free tools like a grammar checker and word counter.
- A free and convenient way to check for plagiarism.
- It offers a variety of tools not normally found with grammar checkers. There is a paraphrasing tool that can be used to rewrite articles. There are even SEO tools like a backlink checker.
- There is a limit of 1000 words per search, so you should divide longer documents into sections.
- If you rely on the paraphrasing tool to rewrite articles, you should edit them carefully, as the results are not always perfect.
SpellCheckPlus is a free online spell and grammar checker. The basic version is free and you can use it by simply pasting your text. The Pro version offers some additional features. The cost is $ 14.99 Canadian. A full-screen editor and resizing capabilities are convenient for customizing the editing process to your needs. You can also archive the text that you have corrected in the past.
- Reasonable Annual cost is a little over $ 1, much cheaper than most paid tools.
- Free Trial.
- Interactive grammar exercises.
- It is not as flexible as many other tools. You have to use the inline text box as there are no extensions or integrations.
- It is not as easy to use as tools like Grammarly. You cannot, for example, edit as you type.
Online Correction is a free online spelling and grammar checker. It’s a simple, no-frills service with no upgrades or upsells. The home page is also quite modest and honest about its limitations, advising you not to rely exclusively on this or another tool.
- Easy and free to use.
- Limited features. It is designed primarily to find basic errors and does not address more complex issues such as style. It also doesn’t offer translation services, plagiarism checkers, or other advanced features.
PaperRater is another online proofreader, spelling, and grammar checker. The name of the service implies that it is for students who want to review their papers. While many students use it, it is equally useful for bloggers, creative writers, and anyone who needs to review documents. The results are analyzed in real-time using artificial intelligence. There is a free version and a premium version.
The free version limits you to five pages per shipment and 50 shipments per month. The Premium plan, which currently sells for $ 11.21 per month or $ 71.55 per year, allows you to check 20 pages per shipment and 200 shipments per month. The Premium version has additional features like a vocabulary builder and plagiarism check built into the proofreader.
- A wide range of functions, even for the free version.
- Friendly interface. Just cut and paste the text into the box.
- Limits on submissions can be a problem if you need to review many pages per month.
Choosing the right grammar checker
There are many options when it comes to proofing, grammar checking, and plagiarism checking tools. We have reviewed some of the most popular. When choosing the right service or software, you should carefully consider your needs. You can find a single tool that meets all your needs, or you can use different tools for different purposes. Again, however, it is important to check your own work manually, as no grammar checker is perfect.