How to Overcome Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working PC Laptop 2021 – Windows Explorer is a program from the Windows operating system that functions as a user interface (UI) and file manager.
How to Overcome Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working PC Laptop 2021
In short, with this program, you can access files stored on your PC with a user-friendly interface.
- Windows 11 activation keys – Activate Windows 11 for free
- How to Turn Off Windows 10 Updates Easy Step
- Ways to Fix Bluetooth Not Working in Windows 10
- Talking about Windows Explorer, sometimes this program can have problems you know. One of them is like Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working.
How to Overcome Windows Explorer Not Responding & Has Stopped Working
Before Windows Explorer appears the message Has Stopped Working, usually a message not responding will appear first.
The meaning of this message is, Windows Explorer does not respond, then crashes and stops working ( stopped working ).
Here’s how to solve it.
1. Restart Windows Explorer in Task Manager
When the Windows Explorer program does not respond and crashes, the easiest way to fix it is to restart.
- First, press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open Task Manager.
- Once open, please check the Process tab.
- Look for the Windows Explorer program.
- Right-click the program.
- Finally, select Restart.
After restarting, you can try to open Windows Explorer again.
2. Clear History Explorer
Some Windows programs have a feature to cache. One of the programs is Windows Explorer.
The cache that has been stored for a long time and has never been cleared will usually accumulate. This is what makes Windows Explorer so can not work properly.
Here’s the solution:
- Please click the Start button.
- Type Control Panel in the Windows search field.
- Select the Control Panel.
- Once open, you can select the Small Icons option in the View by column.
- Select File Explorer Options.
- The File Explorer Options dialog box will open.
- Click the Clear button in the Clear File Explorer History column.
You can check the results by opening Windows Explorer again.
3. Set Settings Icon
Sometimes the Windows Explorer Not Responding problem only appears when you access certain directories.
This problem is usually caused by file thumbnails that have been corrupted. So that it causes interference when the explorer loads the file.
The solution, you can try changing the thumbnail settings to the icon.
- First, open the Control Panel.
- Then select File Explorer Options.
- After that click the View tab.
- Then check the Always Show Icons option, Never Thumbnails.
- Finally, click the Apply button and click OK.
Once configured, you can try to re-open the directory where the error appeared when opening it again.
4. Disable Experience Improvement
The Customer Experience Improvement feature serves to retrieve Windows user data to Microsoft servers for the purpose of seeking feedback.
This feedback is used to improve the quality of the Windows system itself. But on the other hand, enabling this feature can also cause problems in Windows Explorer.
For that, you should try turning it off first. Here are the steps:
- Please press Windows key + R to open Windows Run.
- Type gpedit. MSC.
- Then access the following folder.
- Look for the Turn off Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program option.
- Right-click on the feature.
- Select Edit.
- The program dialog box will appear.
- Click Disable.
- Click Apply and click OK .
Now you can close the Local Group Policy Editor dialog box and check the results.
5. Disable the Discovery Folder Feature
The Discovery Folder feature in general has a function to optimize the files displayed in Windows Explorer.
However, this feature can also store cache, which eventually makes Windows Explorer slow even to the point where a stopped working problem appears.
The solution you can turn off this feature.
- Open Windows Explorer.
- Right-click on the problematic directory.
- Then select the Properties menu.
- Later will come the dialog box Properties of the drive selected.
- Click the Customize tab.
- Then select General Items.
- Finally, click Apply and select OK.
If you have, now you can try the drive that previously appeared an error when opened.
6. Add Virtual Memory
In short Virtual Memory is useful for adding PC memory to store temporary files.
Adding Virtual Memory can sometimes help to solve problems related to Windows Explorer.
- First, open Windows Explorer.
- Then on right-click on This PC.
- Then select the Properties menu > Advanced System Settings.
- Advanced System Settings.
- Select the Settings menu.
- Set Virtual Memory there
The details just check how to add virtual memory. It’s been fully discussed there.
7. Fix With Cmd
If you still can’t, try checking the condition of the program via the scan feature in CMD ( Command Prompt ).
This feature is not only to check the damage to Windows Explorer but also to fix it.
Here are the steps:
- Please press the Windows key.
- Type CMD and right-click the program.
- Then select Run As Administrator.
- If CMD is already open, type the command SFC /scan now.
- Press Enter.
- After that, you can wait for the results.
8. Do a System Restore
System Restore is a built-in Windows feature that is useful for restoring system data to a time.
You can use this feature to return Windows Explorer to a state where it wasn’t crashing.
- First, click on Start.
- Type Recovery in the Windows search field.
- Open the program.
- The Recovery dialog box will appear.
- Here click on Open System Restore.
- Select the data backup or system restore point.
9. Perform Windows Update
Through Windows updates, you can solve system problems. Including Explorer too. So it’s pretty important.
- Click the Windows search field.
- Type Windows Update Settings in the search field.
- After that select the program.
- If so, click the Download button to update.
If all the way has you tried unsuccessfully the last solution is to do the install again.
The reason, in some cases, this problem is caused by corrupted program files.
But this damage can no longer be detected and repaired by the operating system.
That’s the discussion to solve the problem of Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working or Windows Explorer Not Responding.
This problem must be addressed quickly. So that the use of a PC or laptop can be normal again.
May be useful.